Wednesday, November 19, 2008

ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A FIFTH GRADER

My dad sent this to me this morning and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Just post your answer and I will post the answers within two days time.


5th Grade Math Problem

Good luck!

This is a 5th grade math problem. If you can open the spreadsheet, you'll
see it's a very small list of people who have gotten the correct number.

This is not a trick question. This is a real math problem so don't say that
a bus has no legs.

There are 7 girls in a bus.
Each girl has 7 backpacks.
In each backpack, there are 7 big cats.
For every big cat there are 7 little cats.
Question: How many legs are there in the bus?

9 comments:

Jen said...

I'm gonna go with 9604 legs. I'm probably totally off, but I did enjoy thinking about those girls and their many backpacks, and why would those backpacks possibly be filled with zillions of big and tiny cats.

Jen said...

. . . and then my brain turned on and I amend my answer to 9618 to include the girls. Probably still to high because that is a LOT of legs.

Salmon Tolman Family said...

I got 238. But that's not right. Do the backpacks figure into it somehow?

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Well, I was WAAAAY off on my first guess, wasn't I?! My 3rd grader has issues with reading math problems when put in the sentence format. Apparently he gets that from me!!! But now I know what the real answer is, and I'm SOOO glad! It took me 10 minutes, but I would've sat here and tried to figure it out until I was right, even if it had taken me hours! What a fun post Heather!

Andrea Hardman said...

OK. My answer is 10990 legs. My only concern is, What the crap are those kids doing with cats stuffed into backpacks coming home from school? :)

Jeana said...

That was fun to think about...my answer is 10,990. I can't wait to know the correct answer.
Jeana Jones (Martin)

Kristine said...

I think it is 409.

Adam and Heather said...

The Correct answer is 10,990.
7 girls=14 legs
each girl has seven backpacks with 7 big cats inside each backpack so that is 343 big cats=1,372 big cat legs

each big cat has 7 little cats so that is 343x7=2,401 little cats.
2,401 little cats=9,604 little cats legs.

Add 14+1372+9604=10990

Andrea Hardman said...

I'm so dang smart.